Saturday, May 1, 2010

Kathmandu May 2, 2010-May Get Worse Before It Gets Better!

Namaste All,

The Maoists had threatened a General Strike starting today, if the PM refused to "step down"....So, true to their word....Kathmandu is "shut down" all shops and businesses are closed and the streets are virtually deserted.The usual din of horns from cars,buses,motorcycles has been replaced by an "rather pleasant" quiet.
Small groups of Maoists came through the streets today making sure that all shops and businesses were "locked"....under threat of immediate retaliation. The restaurant here at my hotel has only eggs and pancakes to serve. No bread or other things are being delivered. But I have stocked up on munchies and bottled water...so I should be fine!
So far today there have been no mass marches....at least not here in Thamel. But Amber and others I have talked to anticipate that there could be some "skirmishes" today and tonight! The only agreement made between the two factions is that safe bus travel to the airport will take place for westerners needing to catch flights out!
Other than that there is a tense "standoff" taking place.
I have been filming and taking pics as much as I can and now it seems as though all we can do is wait and see how this is going to play out!
Amber and I are still moving along with HED project plans and logistics!
That's it for now as the power is scheduled to go off in a few minutes!
My Best!
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment