Saturday, October 31, 2009

Some Additional Thoughts

Hello Again!
I just got done posting some pictures from our trek and wanted to clarify a couple of things!
The last picture in the series is of myself, Amber Tamang, Amber's mother, grandmother and cousin when we went on a day trip to visit a very old monastery outside of the Kathmandu Valley.
Also, I hope you will forgive my "lack of tech knowledge" regarding some postings! I am still in the learning phase!
I would also like to answer a couple of questions that I am frequently asked about the "rigors" of trekking/climbing and safety issues when travelling to "politically unstable" parts of the world.
First: Trekking/Climbing is a whole "package" of physical,mental and emotional "tests". This trek was 15 days in length and we averaged about 7 to 10 hrs per day of "strenuous" hiking at altitudes from 10,000 to 18,000 feet in varying weather conditions. The terrain is often "rollercoaster", with straight ups and straight downs!Trails are often narrow with extreme drop offs and require one to always be aware of where your stepping.
I view such undertakings as "marathons". 15 straight days of "extreme" physical output with 40% less Oxygen than here in Lakewood. This often makes it hard to sleep and one's appetite is not 'up to par".
However....The payoff is the incredible vistas, mountain scenes....and the incredible interactions with the people who live and work there....many of whom are now my close friends! I am already back in "training mode' for our Shaman Documentary trip in August and the Langtang/Yala Peak Trek/Climb in October!

Second: Someone pointed out to me the other day that Nepal was on the list of places to "avoid" due to political instability and possible "terrorist" activities. I was aware of this, however, I am in daily contact with Amber Tamang and trust his "take on things". Having been "detained at gunpoint" on a trek in 2001, I am very cautious and aware of the "risks" involved in travelling to "unstable"areas and we carefully research and "scope out" our routes.. I am also aware that France and England as well as Jamaica, Mexico,and many other "popular destinations" also have such "advised warnings" also.
For me, it comes down to "A Leap of Faith" and taking "calculated risks". It is part of the nature of Adventure Travel! And the rewards are Beyond The Scope of Words!
Please stay tuned for more updates! And feel free to contact me or Amber anytime!

1 comment:

  1. jim, thanks for the photos- they're beautiful... it is a pleasure to be able to share in your journeys. the land and people are so much a part of each other, they at times seem one and the same... it is my sincere hope to able to join you along a future trek.

    [brother]mark

    ReplyDelete