Friday, January 14, 2011

Everest Climb Postponed

I was in full training mode for Everest this spring. Unexpectedly.. I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. On one of my recent trips to Nepal I contracted a virus which attacked my pancreas and eventually rendered it useless. I am now totally insulin dependent. Only 3 people with Type 1 Diabetes have climbed Everest..due to how the extremes of altitude, cold, and physical exertion affect monitors, blood levels etc.. My Drs. have advised that i wait for at least 6 months before attempting an Everest climb (as my diagnosis is so new0. At 57..I would be the oldest Type 1 Diabetic to have ever climbed Everest.
Instead, I am trekking to Everest Base Camp(17,600 ft) and climbing 2 smaller peaks (18,000+ ft)..as a "test run" for this new condition. I will be trekking for 30+ days at altitudes above 15,000 ft. If all goes well an October 2011 Everest attempt is possible.
I will be going to Base Camp with Dr. Joel Adelson( a good friend and outstanding physician)as well as David Noyes, an award winning journalist, photographer and extreme adventure traveler( who will be documenting this expedition.)
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!
My thanks to Amber Tamang and 3 Jewels Adventures for their willingness to help make all this possible!
We are scheduled to trek to Base Camp from April 10 to May 25. We will be posting daily blogs/photos on this site!
My Best to Everyone!
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment